- For every half litre bottle of carbonated soft drink (CSD) purchased, your water footprint on the earth (the amount of water depleted) is up to 300 litres of water.
- Today, 50 Indian villages suffer from severe shortage and contamination of groundwater, because of soft drink production.
- It takes 442 litres of water to manufacture a one litre plastic CSD bottle.
- Up to 50% of the water used in each PepsiCo plant turns into wastewater.
- In Mehdiganj, Uttar Pradesh, the coca cola plant has lowered ground water levels by 26 feet in 11 years. Before the plant was set up, the water level had actually risen by 26 feet in eleven years.
- A kilogram of plastic that is produced for plastic bottles, releases up to 3 kilograms of greenhouse gases into the atmosphere.
- Eight Coca Cola plants across India release toxic sludge containing mercury, cadmium, and chromium.
- Lindane is an insecticide that is used in the making of all CSDs. It’s concentration has been found to be more than 42 times the limit stipulated by the European Econmic Commission.
- It’s consumption damages the central nervous system, immune system and is a confirmed carcinogen (cancer causing chemical).
- When you drink a glass of water, tender coconut or just eat a fresh fruit you are NOT increasing your water footprint
- Remember when you are choosing what to drink, you aren't simply looking at calories and sugar. Getting other vitamins and minerals from your drink is important, such as the calcium, vitamin D, and vitamin A or vitamin C
- Drinking one soft drink makes a child 60% more likely to be obese, reducing a person’s life expectancy (the number of years they can expect to live) by 12-15 years.
- Nearly 91% of all CSDs sold in India are bought by middle and upper class people in urban areas.
- Today, India is the Diabetes Capital of the World. 70% of all diabetics in the world are Indian. 1 in every 5 people living in metros is diabetic. By 2030, 1 in 11 Indians will be diabetic.
- A single 12-ounce can of soda has around 13 teaspoons of sugar, usually in the form of high-fructose corn syrup.
- If you give up half a litre of CSD per day, at the end of the year, you will lose up to 12 kilograms of fat and save 91,000 calories and 7,280 teaspoons of sugar
- CSDs are acidic - they contain carbonic and / or phosphoric acid.
- Health problems that could result from drinking colas include tooth decay, pancreatic cancer, liver damage, osteoporosis, and heart problems.